Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cue the "Wicked Witch of the West" Theme Song

Tonight I experienced my first Tornado Warning.
There is a BIG difference between a Watch and a Warning
When there's a warning, you see some lightning ( a LOT of lightning ) and you hear the atonal crashing sounds of thunder ( as if it were uprooting trees and your roof ) .
Tonight I could see a big storm brewing in the sky- dark clouds beyond the rooftops, screaming across the sky-and I was quite looking forward to it.
But the winds kicked in and trees began bowing down, the sky was instantly dark and there was no sign of life, not a bird, a squirrel or rabbit in the yard.
The lightning became more intense and numerous when we sat down to dinner.
Chai was becoming a bit agitated, so I went up to give her some reassurance, when I heard it...off in the distance, the lonely hollow sirens. It was a Tornado Warning.
It was time to take the dogs to the basement, along with the last of my supper, and as I was shoving the unwieldy Pomeranian into the bright yellow Southwest dog satchel, it started to feel very surreal, the air was hot, lightning was bursting and illuminating the room in a white hot glow, rain pounded against the window panes and I felt my knees start to shake.
It's not much that scares me. Not to that extent. But I was actually afraid.
This is not like an earthquake, where you look up suddenly when things start to shake, and think- "Door Jam!"
No.
This is much more intense. It's like a slow moving freight train about to hit you, and you just can't get...off...the ...tracks.
I polished off my taco salad while watching the local news channel, and saw that the main event for our county, was past.
Phew.
ok, so this goes on for how long?

No comments:

Post a Comment